Malaysia Airlines plane threat foiled by 'heroes', witness says

A witness has described how passengers tackled a person who allegedly made a false bomb menace on a Malaysia Airways aircraft.

Flight MH128, certain for Kuala Lumpur, was forced to return to Melbourne after the person tried to enter the cockpit.

The flight landed safely and the passenger was arrested, police mentioned, including it was not terror-related.

One passenger mentioned the suspect was carrying a “very uncommon object”, which police later mentioned was not explosive.

“He ran down the again aisle and three nice Aussie heroes wrestled him to the bottom and completely immobilised him,” the witness, Andrew Leoncelli, informed the BBC.

The suspect was a 25-year-old Sri Lankan man who was launched from a Melbourne psychiatric facility earlier on Wednesday, mentioned Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton.

Police initially handled it as a attainable terrorism incident earlier than figuring out it was “a case involving a psychological well being concern”, the commissioner mentioned.

‘Actually agitated’

Police mentioned the person was carrying a bluetooth speaker or one thing related. Malaysia’s Deputy Transport Minister Abdul Aziz bin Kaprawi described it as a “powerbank”, the AFP company mentioned.

Mr Leoncelli, a former skilled Australian Guidelines soccer participant, mentioned it had two antennae and what seemed to be a smartphone enter.

He mentioned the suspect informed airline employees he wanted to see the captain earlier than turning into “actually agitated” and making threats, together with making button-pressing motions.

“I went again to inform the opposite passengers there was an actual menace right here, we have to do one thing,” Mr Leoncelli mentioned.

Of the passengers who then overpowered the person, he mentioned: “I can’t let you know their names however they’re good fellas.”

Earlier, Mr Leoncelli informed Melbourne’s 3AW radio station that the person threatened to “blow the aircraft up”, prompting employees to scream for assist.

Malaysia Airways mentioned the Airbus A330, carrying 337 passengers and crew, was within the air for simply 30 minutes of its eight-hour flight time earlier than touchdown.

Police defend delay

Closely armed police boarded the aircraft simply earlier than midnight native time (14:00 GMT) and positioned the person beneath arrest.

Mr Ashton defended what native media mentioned was a 90-minute delay between the aircraft touchdown and police intervention.

He mentioned counter-terrorism officers had feared there could also be different explosive units or potential suspects on board.

“If we had an incident the place there have been additional explosives that have been triggered, we may have had a mass casualty incident,” he mentioned.

“Selections needed to be made about what was the most secure approach to get passengers off the aircraft.”

Mr Ashton mentioned man had been dwelling in Melbourne on a present visa, clarifying earlier data he was an Australian citizen.

A lot of flights have been diverted following the incident, however the airport confirmed it was working as regular.

Get news from the BBC in your inbox, each weekday morning


Revealed at Thu, 01 Jun 2017 04:34:40 +0000