Cristiano Ronaldo’s injury-time penalty put holders Actual Madrid by to the Champions League semi-finals after holding off a shocking Juventus comeback.
Ronaldo’s coolly taken 97th-minute penalty into the highest nook got here after Medhi Benatia introduced down Lucas Vazquez within the field.
Juve goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, in what may be his final Champions League look, was despatched off by English referee Michael Oliver after awarding the spot-kick, for foul and abusive language.
Actual, Champions League winners in three of the previous 4 seasons, got here into the second leg main Three-Zero, helped by Ronaldo’s gorgeous bicycle kick.
However the Serie A leaders acquired off to an ideal begin when Mario Mandzukic headed in from Sami Khedira’s cross after simply two minutes and Mandzukic acquired a second earlier than half-time.
Blaise Matuidi pounced to capitalise on Keylor Navas’ fumble to degree the tie on combination earlier than the dramatic ending.
Actual be a part of Liverpool, Roma and Bayern Munich within the last-four draw, which takes place in Nyon on Friday at 12:00 BST.
- Football Daily podcast: ‘Lucky’ Real Madrid and ‘disgraceful’ Buffon
- Bedlam at the Bernabeu – reaction to Real’s dramatic win
- Relive how it happened
Chaotic 10 minutes in Madrid
The sport appeared to be heading for further time earlier than a chaotic ultimate couple of minutes noticed even the calmest of gamers lose management.
- 90th minute: Benatia push on Vazquez is adjudged to be a foul and Oliver factors to the spot. Benatia booked and livid Juve gamers encompass the referee, incensed on the determination.
- 93rd minute: Buffon remonstrates too vociferously, screaming and pointing his finger within the course of Oliver and is proven a crimson card.
- 96th minute: Juve striker Gonzalo Higuain is introduced off and changed by former Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny.
- 97th minute: Ronaldo despatches the penalty into the highest right-hand nook.
- 98th minute: Ronaldo is booked for taking off his shirt whereas celebrating in entrance of the house supporters.
- 99th minute: Referee blows for full-time.
Ronaldo steps on top of things
Actual have endured a poor season to date in La Liga, sitting fourth within the desk and 15 factors adrift of runaway leaders Barca, who capitulated on Tuesday night time to exit of the Champions League.
The competitors is Actual’s solely hope of a serious trophy this season, however they solely simply managed to sneak by to the final 4 for the eighth consecutive season.
Ronaldo, the Ballon d’Or holder, proved himself to be the perfect as soon as once more, stepping up beneath probably the most intense strain to ship his staff by.
The penalty prolonged his unbelievable goalscoring type this marketing campaign:
- Now netted in 11 video games in a row for Actual
- Takes his tally to 27 in his previous 14 video games for membership and nation
- 41 strikes general in 38 video games this season
- 120th objective in 150 Champions League appearances.
Not the send-off Buffon hoped for
Legendary goalkeeper Buffon ended the night time, and presumably his European profession, in controversial style.
It drew parallels with Actual boss Zinedine Zidane when his France taking part in profession ended with a sending off on the 2006 World Cup ultimate for a headbutt on Italy defender Marco Materazzi.
Italy’s most-capped worldwide Buffon, who is way revered all through the sport, let his feelings overcome him on the finish and was dismissed on his 650th look for Juve.
Buffon had introduced in October that this is able to be his final Champions League marketing campaign until his aspect received the ultimate, after which he had meant to play within the Membership World Cup.
Buffon had been having a superb sport, saving low from Welshman Gareth Bale and reacting sharply to maintain out efforts from Isco and Ronaldo.
However he won’t obtain the dream send-off, lacking out on claiming the one main trophy which has evaded him in his profession.
Tremendous Mario – the stats
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 10 Champions League targets towards Juventus – probably the most by one participant towards a one opponent within the competitors.
- Juventus have received extra away video games towards Actual Madrid than some other aspect in all European competitors [three].
- Gianluigi Buffon’s first Champions League crimson card was Juventus’ sixth within the competitors towards Actual Madrid – greater than any staff has had towards one other opponent within the competitors.
- Mario Mandzukic’s first objective after 76 seconds was the quickest that Actual Madrid have ever conceded in a Champions League residence sport.
- Mandzukic additionally grew to become the primary participant to attain a first-half double as an opposition participant in a Champions League match on the Bernabeu.
- The Italian aspect had extra photographs on the right track within the opening 15 minutes of play [three] than they did in the complete first leg (2).
- 2CarvajalBooked at 22minutes
- 12MarceloBooked at 81minutes
- 14CasemiroSubstituted forVázquezat 45′minutes
- 10ModricSubstituted forKovacicat 75′minutes
- 7RonaldoBooked at 90minutes
- 11BaleSubstituted forAsensioat 45′minutes
- 1BuffonBooked at 90minutes
- 2De SciglioSubstituted forLichtsteinerat 17′minutesBooked at 36minutes
- fourBenatiaBooked at 90minutes
- 12Alex SandroBooked at 67minutes
- 5PjanicBooked at 17minutes
- 11Douglas CostaBooked at 73minutes
- 9HiguaínSubstituted forSzczesnyat 90+6′minutes
- 17MandzukicBooked at 29minutes
- Michael Oliver
- Photographs on Goal
Stay Textual content
Match ends, Actual Madrid 1, Juventus Three.
Second Half ends, Actual Madrid 1, Juventus Three.
Cristiano Ronaldo (Actual Madrid) is proven the yellow card for extreme celebration.
Objective! Actual Madrid 1, Juventus Three. Cristiano Ronaldo (Actual Madrid) converts the penalty with a proper footed shot to the highest proper nook.
Substitution, Juventus. Wojciech Szczesny replaces Gonzalo Higuaín.
Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus) is proven the crimson card.
Penalty Actual Madrid. Lucas Vázquez attracts a foul within the penalty space.
Penalty conceded by Medhi Benatia (Juventus) after a foul within the penalty space.
Medhi Benatia (Juventus) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.
Toni Kroos (Actual Madrid) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Medhi Benatia (Juventus).
Try missed. Cristiano Ronaldo (Actual Madrid) header from the left aspect of the six yard field is just too excessive. Assisted by Daniel Carvajal with a cross.
Foul by Jesús Vallejo (Actual Madrid).
Gonzalo Higuaín (Juventus) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Marcelo (Actual Madrid) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.
Foul by Marcelo (Actual Madrid).
Douglas Costa (Juventus) wins a free kick on the best wing.
Nook, Actual Madrid. Conceded by Giorgio Chiellini.
Try missed. Raphael Varane (Actual Madrid) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is shut, however misses to the best. Assisted by Isco following a nook.
Nook, Actual Madrid. Conceded by Gianluigi Buffon.
Try saved. Isco (Actual Madrid) proper footed shot from outdoors the field is saved within the backside left nook. Assisted by Marcelo.
Offside, Juventus. Douglas Costa tries a by ball, however Miralem Pjanic is caught offside.
Nook, Juventus. Conceded by Jesús Vallejo.
Try blocked. Sami Khedira (Juventus) proper footed shot from the centre of the field is blocked. Assisted by Mario Mandzukic with a cross.
Try missed. Alex Sandro (Juventus) left footed shot from outdoors the field misses to the best. Assisted by Sami Khedira.
Substitution, Actual Madrid. Mateo Kovacic replaces Luka Modric.
Try missed. Raphael Varane (Actual Madrid) header from the centre of the field misses to the left. Assisted by Toni Kroos with a cross following a nook.
Nook, Actual Madrid. Conceded by Miralem Pjanic.
Try blocked. Cristiano Ronaldo (Actual Madrid) proper footed shot from the left aspect of the field is blocked. Assisted by Marco Asensio.
Douglas Costa (Juventus) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.
Marco Asensio (Actual Madrid) wins a free kick within the defensive half.
Foul by Douglas Costa (Juventus).
Try missed. Marco Asensio (Actual Madrid) left footed shot from outdoors the field is shut, however misses the highest proper nook from a direct free kick.
Lucas Vázquez (Actual Madrid) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Alex Sandro (Juventus).
Alex Sandro (Juventus) is proven the yellow card for a nasty foul.
Cristiano Ronaldo (Actual Madrid) wins a free kick within the attacking half.
Foul by Alex Sandro (Juventus).
Nook, Juventus. Conceded by Toni Kroos.
Cristiano Ronaldo (Actual Madrid) wins a free kick on the left wing.
Printed at Wed, 11 Apr 2018 21:49:40 +0000